Every day, there are millions of American children who take buses to and from schools, and for the most part, the kids who take buses and those drivers who come across buses know to take the proper precautions to keep everyone safe.
In order to keep children and pedestrians truly safe, however, rules must also be enforced by neighborhoods, school boards, and states.
But it never hurts to remind people of the importance of school bus safety, which is why we’ve offered a few tips for you here.
Tips for Students Taking School Buses
There are many things students can do to stay safe when they catch a school bus. The following should be exercised:
- Arrive at their bus stop several minutes early to catch their bus.
- Stand on the sidewalk until the bus pulls up.
- Enter onto the school bus only after the driver gives the OK.
- Use the handrails that are provided to walk up the steps.
- Put on a safety belt if one is provided.
- Avoid walking behind buses at any time.
Tips for Drivers Encountering School Buses
Drivers who live in areas near school districts should always be on the lookout for kids walking to and from their bus stops. They should also:
- Double check before backing out of driveways.
- Slow speeds down in residential neighborhoods.
- Stop when a bus driver puts his lights on to indicate a stop.
- Learn the rules and regulations regarding school buses in their state.
- Take precaution when driving behind a school bus.
Safety is something everyone should take seriously. Even school bus companies can do their part to keep kids safe by investing in new buses to replace older models.
Las Vegas Bus Sales promotes the safety of all Nevada drivers out on the road. If you’re a transportation company looking to upgrade your bus selection, call us at 877-456-9804 to check out the school buses we have in stock for you.